Thursday, November 20, 2008
Mr Toads Wild Ride.
What is public transportation like in Albania. They are called furgons...Mini vans that take you places. The furgons hang out together but not at a station. A station would mean a schedule...that would mean the drivers would have to work each day and that would mean they had to be regulated...the way they do it now, they show up if they want, leave when they want and pay taxes as a business..register ???? maybe..but if they don't, and get caught, its nothing that a few leke $ to the cops cannot handle. The Drivers claim income but nobody knows how much they make. If they want to make more money..sometimes we are sitting very very close to sticky old men..or unshaved women. Once in a while we are standing in the minivan. The roads suck and and the drivers are wild...they pass all the time..all two lane roads, and many times there are 3 cars moving side by side on a two lane road . Lots of real close calls each ride/day/ minute....Each furgon has a supply of barf bags...they don't stop for sickness....not important enough. At times you see someones head down, making noises in the back..or front. I am used to it now..... but 7 months ago...when I got on, I just had to let go, and think, they do this everyday and are still alive. I have been numberous times on the mountainous road to Elbasan, a 3.5 to 5 hour ride. 3 times the furgon has breaken down and we had to wait for a "friend" ...As I said before, if anything can be used one more time before it breaks , it will be tested.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment