Today, we had our monthly staff meeting. Last week the Director said that he will mention the website again a that I could do my presentation on How to use the Web, and Why it is important to have one a website...maybe not now but in the future.........Since I speak Shqip so well I was going to rely on a co-worker to conduct the meeting. Wednesday ...I gave the co-worker my outline of topics to cover and tried to pin them down to work on it....Thursday the response was...shume pune...(too much work, cannot today) for 2 hours we did not have power so we sat and talked and drank lots of coffee with co-workers...It was the middle of the day...plenty of light and I had hardcopies of all work ready ...She said "neser"...Okay..now its Friday....we start working on it at 12:00 ..then got distracted...by 2:00 nothing was done...and then we had to prepare for the weekend..talk because we won't see one another for 2 days....The meeting is not until 8:45 am so we will have 45 minutes..to set up projector and plan the meeting....OOOkayyy...8;30 I felt nothing is understood and the projector still has to be set up.
Meeting time: problems with the projector until 8:50. Coworker says that she completely understands the meeting and what to do..Huuuummmmmm
Meeting starts.
She is sitting down. Away from the computer .... I ask if she was ready?? yes but there was no movement...towards the computer
Why did I discuss with her all those issues and the presention itself if she was just going to translate what I said. ...to add to the problem the "Monthly meeting was about the website", and was not a small part of it as I was lead to believe. Needless to say, my 10 minutes turned to 30 minute meeting off the cuff.
The good: the Director felt that it was a good meeting...I now know...that meetings are 100% me and all I can do is ask for translation..not help.....but that is not the PeaceCorps way...Other good is My project seems to have some importance to the Director.
The Bad, I cannot rely on anybody....and I know that no matter how well I explain, even if they explain back to me what is expected...Albanians will do what they want...ARG they tell us this in training but you always think you cover your behind.
Sorry could not proofread above...gotta go
Monday, November 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment