Wednesday, July 29, 2009

A day of complaining...

Since I have time today, I will write about other stuff. The day to day activities are of minimal excitement. I go to work each day, and can only think about going home...to which then I nap or read. I should work on my projects each and everyday, but the sluggeshness of the culture the heat without air conditioning makes one move slowly and not want to think about work. The money here is minimal with us not getting a raise in now 4 years and the cost of living in Albania having gone up more that 50% in that time. In the last few months coffee went up 40% and fast food up 20% percent. Lezhe is also one of the most expensive cities to live in, in Albania.....I am really upset with my other PCV since only 43% mailed in the living allowance survey. Them even more upset, knowing the the corporate office knows of the lack of money but since only 43% even sent in the survey, they pretend it is okay. Any travel or clothes comes from my own pocket now. One more thing that is really bothering me is that a little dog has befriended me. He waits each day outside my work and hopes that I will spent 30 seconds petting him. He has Mange, and mite that attacks the skin and leaves him looking bad. I ask our vets to for help and I would pay for it, but they just brush it off as in why help dogs, they are dirty messy and are pests. I have seen him all hours of the day waiting for me. If I bring him into my home and wash him, feed him it would only prolong the inevitable.
Now that I have completely depressed anyone reading this, here are the good things...no American Media, Coffee breaks 2-3 times a day...A pizza is $5.00 and a fast food lunch is about $1.50
I am sure if I had a job in the States i would also be looking for one and worried about keeping the one I have. I have no real supervisors...those at the PC office understand not getting things done and those I work with would rather have me not do anything because they may have to work also.
I have 5 incredible riverside cafes to chose to drink coffee from, or 50 regular cafes. I can on a whim travel to another city and if I want sleep, play ping-pong, walk or go to our private internet cafe. (Computer room that one of our PCV set up for the youth and now sits unused because the Albanias are in charge of it and don't have time to hire someone to work it...eventhough the money has been set aside..)

No comments: