I am lucky to be alive today..It is not because of the unathourized and unsupervised use to fireworks in town...or the wild drivers in bad wheather who drive just as fast in the rain as they do in the summer...but because I survived my New Years Dinner. One of the locals had a few people over for dinner. 4 types of sausages, some local fruit\vegetable plate, appetizers, byrek, and a huge turkey....All seems good so far right...the person who invited us over, and who cooked was sicker than a dog...for the last 3 days I had seen him get sicker and sicker as the New Year came closer. At 8 we started dinner and true to form, as for the last few days, he was still sneezing and coughing...and did so ...While serving..while talking...will cutting...while cooking...while bringing out...while, while, while......no mouth covering...even if he did...he would still be using his hands...I ate about 1/2 of what I would have anyway and hoped for the best in a couple of days...as of now..I am not sick...It was a great spread...tasted okay....but could not take advantage of the hospitality in which it was meant.....
As for the New Years Eve in Lezhe. It consists of a freeforall of fireworks....people all over town...focused in the center however, shoot off home fireworks...Shooting at cars driving...parked cars, into 5 story balconies, into crouds..etc....It was about 1 hour of excitement and ducking for cover occassionally. It was great to experience, but next year...I will try the New Year in another country. As far as I know, there were no deaths or injuries....It was then I realized that Lezhe does not have a firedepartment....But who needs one? The buildlings are made of brick and cement...the trees were lumbered during communism for wood and so that the country could use the land for agriculture. It was never replanted...
NYears in Tirana I heard started at 1200 midnight for the parties. Before then they all stay with their families and celebrate like Christmas...Most people stay out until sunrise...
Two days ago a few vollunteers Leslie and Amber came to visit me. We spent the day having coffee and pizza and the next day took the train from Mirlot to Tirana to have breakfast at the Stevenson Center (a local that serves American food). I had pancakes with whipcream and strawberries..We then parted...and I went to get my luggage at the Airport. (only 5 days late) After a production with transportation back to Lezhe, I carried my bag, one that is 52 lbs for 1 mile..in the rain and with a head wind..I was so cold that I stopped by the bank..with a 24 hour guard for cover and he invited me in to sit by his heater to defrost. Then with only 100 yards from home, I had to stop again since my hands could no longer carry the suitcase, and with only dirt/mud roads I could not put the bag down every 20 yards. I finally made it home to find that we had no water...
Today is January 4 and for the first time in 5 years it snowed...totally beautiful and only made better that there has been now water for 20 hours and now no electricty for about 16 hours. Who needs to see, heat, drink or go to the bathroom when there is snow on the ground. Today is a day of reading and the internet cafe...on project done...now a day of reading.
Sunday, January 4, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
HI PETE I JUST FOUND OUT HOW TO DO THIS THE KIDS TOLD ME LIKE DA.LET ME KNOW IF YOU GET THIS...BEV
hi pete again just checking it out again let me know if you received it...bev
Post a Comment