Thursday, October 23, 2008

Cruizing on Empty

Things are starting to get a little busier here for me. Last week Opportunity Albania, an organization that works on giving loans to Low Income Albanians approached me and asked if I would be interested in working a couple days a week with them on marketing. I introduced myself to them when I when I first got here, so they knew I was in town. Another volunteer works for them in a neighboring town so they are familiar with the PC and our services. As of now, I said, they would have to ask my director, since the Department of Agriculture was where I was assigned.
I also made a friend who not only speaks english well but is someone who I have much in common. He is
an English Teacher from a neighboring village, a very good friend of my Shqip teacher, and a former soccer player. He also works out regularly at the same fitness center as I.

As for adventures, I went to the city of Berat last weekend. The city of 1000 windows, located on the side and base of the biggest castle in Albania. While the castle was not that big, it still has people living in it that have never been to town or outside of the castle. The city itself was beautiful with lots of windows, history and was also fairly clean(a big deal here in Albania). I stayed with a PC volunteer and toured the city, and bars (bars=locals= coffee shops=sitting lounges) (Starbucks meets local bar). We saw a professional soccer game and ate creps and what they feel is the best Pizza in Albania. (good pizza, great location and atmosphere)
I got the opportunity to play some young kid in ping-pong who I met on the 3 hour furgon ride. While I beat him, his friends, who are much lesser of players beat me...lots of excuses....the paddles were padded on one side, not the other, lighting was bad, and they had every desire to kick the Americans Butt..they did.. Just as I was getting used to the Home court" the ball went into the Turkish Toilet and the day of pingpong for 5 guys was over.
Language update...good moments..many bad days
Work Update...Not much just yet.

1 comment:

tine said...
This comment has been removed by the author.