The last couple of nights here have been like college. The 2 remaining PCVs Leslie and Bethany have dragged my butt out for nights of Drinking and Dancing. At about the time I am having dinner and ready to hit the sac, they text me for cafe that later turns into a night of drinking and/or dancing. All fun for a couple of hours, but more than that the next day really sucks.
Work: we finally had a company wide meeting on the survey we did several months ago. I am not sure how it went, and as I had expected, "the report" was scribbled on one piece of paper with only the results. Even though I sent the "report team" websites on writing a report and using the information, she/they just stated the results, then the team just nodded and in their minds thought, interesting...that was done.... When I tried to actually address the concerns of the farmers or what we can do, all blame was put on the farmers and "Tirana Dof A" main office, and felt that nothing can be done at their level. Actually they are content in feeling nothing can be done at their level because that would be more work. But it was good to know that one of the Extentionist uses the information he gained from the "how to do a business" seminar with the farmers he works with.
As for my job here, I am pretty sure I have done all I can. When my computer comes I will change offices and hope some other departments "work"will trickle down to me but as of now I keep reminding my counterpart and director of things they can do to keep moving forward and neser or next week is always the answer. What is frustrating is they are in such a position to do so much good for the farmers and make a difference but don't. I too, if I spoke Shqip, could do so much but am stuck relying on people to translate who spend hours on personal stuff.
I have made a connection to get Outdoor Ambassador going, but she is a teacher and is insistant that kids will do nothing during the summer unless it is affiliated with the school and that they are required to go. The concept that kids will volunteer to participate...as over 100 kids around Albania are doing is totally out of her understanding. While I can rely on her to expose me to the kids, that is about all she will help. As for the school I am at now, I am glad that I am on my final days teaching there....My teachers assistants totally love helping me, but the kids/boys are just punks. I walk down the halls and can only hear the other teachers in the classroom yelling at the kids. While the teachers are 49% of the blame, the parents and culture are 51% to blame. All parents just say, "they are boys" and in a home the girl and mom or sisters clean the house study and cook while the boys play, men drink coffee and a few work...only to come home and have mom or sister clean up and feed them even if they too have jobs.
Anyway, after the teaching is done, I will having nothing to do so hopefully something else will fill the void.
Thursday, June 4, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment