Hello folks, now you have experienced our first problem with trust. I am sorry we have had to change but I cannot write whatever is on my mind when others are involved. Detail in last Email.
Last weekend was a Beer Festival in one of the cities across the country. While it was only 300 kilometers away it took me 8 hours to get there and 6 hours to get back. I was in the city of Korce. The drinking was not the fun part but the next day was when we wandered to a nearby village. Myself 2 Peace Corps Volunteers, hooked up with an Austrailian and went on a self walking tour. Richard the Australian was what they call "Couch Surfer" He travels around the country sleeping on peoples couch. There is a website I believe couchsurfer.com where people around the country with couches to spare in their homes, allow travelers to sleep there He was a 20 year old kid, out on the road for 18 months traveling the world. Not a bad education. What Richard did is look up someone in Albania who had a couch and after visiting Greece came to visit our Peace Corps friends in Korce Albania.
Back to story....After 5 months of seeing sheep in the middle of the road, Donkeys carrying large amounts of produce and pigs in my yard I now take things for granted. Richard had his eyes wide open and took pictures right and left. It was a great way to again appriciate what and where I am. I had the most fun, when a local, saw us wandering in his village and insisted on taking us to a church he was building himself. The other two Peace Corps members speak Shqip very well but he still insisted on talking to me. Anyway, we were with him for almost and hour and I pretty much understood all he was trying to say and he understood me. I will not say it was a pretty conversation...he used easy words and I used easier words, with gestures and sound affects but non-the-less we talked for an hour.
Chuch history:
200 years old
Destroyed by explosion killing his grandparents who were burried nearby;
Pictures of Christ on the wall represented his grandparents and parents
He works most of the year in Greece
Works on building the church only 2-3 months a year
I only wish I had been able to speak more Shqip. He had a vast wealth of history in his heart and would have loved to been able to talk in detail about it.
Things I get mad at...Last night in the dark, I moved out of the way of someone walking...fine..they moved also....I smacked my leg on this steel rod sticking out of the sidewalk about a foot. WHY it was there WHO knows...WHO...Cares nobody...WHO I want to SMACK...the workers that left it there many years ago, and the government for letting such hazards stay there...Who to blame..me...I knew it was there. I have walked by them many times...just forgot while I was being nice...A bloody leg with blood on my pants for being polite
All for now.
Tuesday, August 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
great to hear from you sounds like adventure of a life time can you post pics?
Post a Comment