Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Followup

So looking into my computer I learned that it is still in customs in Greece...since May 2...I guess I cannot blame Albania for this one.
This has been a big, get in touch with the other PCV month...Bills going away party, Bethanys birthday party, a play put on by kids in a neighboring village, and my sitemate Winnie taco dinner then Going away party. Winnie, last years PCV got a computer lab built, a womens group of 60 people started, taught lots of English and did various youth education projects. She has a unique personallity but did a good job as a volunteer and introducing the rest of us to the people of Lezhe and what life was like in Lezhe.
The play was the second play put on by this PCV and I got mentioned in the credits as the Juggling Coach...the play had a clown and while I taught her to juggle all of an hours worth of instruction, the clown practiced for weeks and did a very good job. About 50% of the the other PCV came to see the play, many traveling over 6 hours.
I am still frustrated at work and am just hoping to get some new energy soon. Today I sent an email to my PC supervisor...as a CC. The email was to my director as a followup to the projects that are "in progress" here. I am hoping when he sees that it will be added incentive to followthrough but there is a possibility that it will back fire....I may have to be ready for that situation.

My kids in the hood are no longer asking for the reading hour but just the money for Ice Cream. Few if anyone reads for pleasure in Albania and never do they do so in public. The Ice cream was the incentive, which was fine, but what came back to haunt me is now they think that since I am an American, i should and can buy them things. Testing the limits of a culture, seems to always have twisted consequences.
As for my Shqip everyone including myself is loosing patience. Most of the PC can hold conversations...still a few of us cannot...and whenever they meet my sitemates...there is always a look of "what is your problem dude" At work there are ways around the problem, but for social and pleasure...it really changes the experience.
This week for work, we were supposed to go to Bosnia..it has been postponed for 4 days. It is out of my own pocket however and I am just hoping worth the leke. As of now instead, of Sunday we will leave Thursday. Luke another pcv was supposed to visit but because of the postponement, that is cancelled.

No comments: